|Song by Sia|
"Alive" is a song co-written by Sia, Adele, and Tobias Jesso Jr. for Sia's seventh studio album, This Is Acting. It was released as the album's lead single on September 24, 2015. Jesse Shatkin produced the song.
On September 6, Sia confirmed at the Venice Film Festival that she had written a song with Adele for her third studio album, but it was rejected at the last minute, prompting her to release it as the lead single of her own album, This Is Acting, a compilation of unreleased songs that Sia had written for other people but decided to record for herself.
Speaking about the song, Sia stated, "It's about [Adele's] life, so now I sing a song from [Adele's] perspective." In an interview with Ryan Seacrest, she confirmed that, she came up with the initial idea of the line "I'm still breathing," based off of a comment from an America's Next Top Model contestant. She also confirmed that "Alive" was one of three songs Sia and Adele wrote together for Adele's album; however, all three were cut. "Alive" and another track, titled "Bird Set Free," had both been originally recorded by Adele but were re-recorded by Sia for This Is Acting. Before "Alive" was recorded by Sia, the song was pitched to Rihanna before she rejected it.
"Alive" was the first song written or co-written by Adele to not feature her vocals on it.
On September 21, Sia teased that she would be releasing "Alive" on September 25. The next day, she unveiled the official artwork for the single via her social media. On September 23, Sia revealed a 15-second snippet of the song and confirmed that she would be releasing the song a day early, crediting it to the fact that she "couldn't wait any longer." The single premiered on Snapchat at approximately 7:00 A.M. and was made available on digital retailers soon after.
"Alive" received universal acclaim from music critics, who praised Furler's vocals as well as the song's production. Rolling Stone critic Jon Blistein described Furler's vocals as "devastating, electrifying," and wrote, "while the dramatic build of 'Alive' sounds straight out of Adele's wheelhouse, the outsized pop production — courtesy of Jesse Shatkin—and the ragged, throat-cracking, enrapturing vocal run Sia embarks on at the end are quintessentially her."
Music video Edit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6686015/sia-single-alive-written-for-adele-this-is-acting
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.rcarecordspress.com/node/4350
- ↑ https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=sl&ie=UTF8&nv=1&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=sl&tl=en&u=http://www.rtvslo.si/zabava/glasba/sia-za-mmc-vsi-mislijo-da-bodo-s-slavo-postali-kul-ljubljeni-in-posebni/373411
- ↑ http://www.idolator.com/7607168/sia-2015-album-this-is-acting-single-adele
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4Ea8GkM5IM
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/SiaMusic/photos/a.491931248407.293276.10959868407/10153704072478408/?type=3&theater
- ↑ https://www.facebook.com/SiaMusic/photos/a.10150351696248408.402984.10959868407/10153706575413408/?type=3&theater
- ↑ http://www.idolator.com/7609022/sia-alive-preview-teaser-adele
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alive_(Sia_song)
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20150925073100/http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/sia-delivers-electrifying-vocals-on-bombastic-new-song-alive-20150924